Solution: I had a user named Bob call me and say “My Outlook keeps restarting itself every 20 minutes or so”. I sat down with Bob to see if I could observe the “restarting issue”. Sure enough Bob’s Outlook would crash and instantly restart. I resolved this issue using 2 methods.
1. Doing a Microsoft Office Repair.
2. Disabling unneeded Outlook Addins (this is the “for sure” fix in my case).
How to repair Microsoft Office
- Click Start (little round Windows globe on the bottom left)
- Click Control Panel
- Click Uninstall a Program (we won’t uninstall Office, just repair)
- Select your Microsoft Office install and click the “Change” button at the top.
- Select Repair and Click Continue.
- Let the repair process complete and then reboot.
See if your Outlook is still crashing and restarting. If so proceed to the next step
How to disable unneeded Outlook Addins
- Open Outlook 2010.
- Click the File tab.
- Click options.
- Click Add-Ins.
- At the bottom you’ll see the word “Manage”. Click the Go button next to it.
- KEEP the following checked and uncheck the rest (may want to check with your IT dept first, if you have one)
- Microsoft Exchange Add-in
- Microsoft VBA for Outlook Addin
- Redemption Helper Outlook Extension
- Click OK
- Restart Outlook