Solution: I have a VPS through hostgator. This VPS is responsible for running two WordPress blogs. Each WordPress blog would experience the dreaded: “Fatal error: Out of memory” multiple times a day causing me to restart Apache a lot. Very annoying to say the least.
Here’s how I resolved this issue…finally….
- Access your VPS via WHM (looks like cpanel) as Root.
- Find “PHP configuration editor” and click it.
- Set your memory_limit to 256M (you may need to contact your host to see if you have 256M available, but most VPS plans do).
- Click Save.
- Access your httpd.conf file via /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
- Remove the top two lines – RLimitMem and RLimitCPU (only these two lines!!!)
- Click Save
- Restart Apache
This was a huge issue for me. Hostgator couldn’t figure it out which is sorta shocking, but whatever.